The Center for Southeast Asian Studies at Kyoto University proudly presents the new issue (26) of Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia (1 September 2019) titled “Beyond the Cold War in Southeast Asia”. We have five articles as follows:
1. Legacies of the Cold War: Regime Security and Coercive Forces in Vietnam, by Eva Hansson
2. The Cold War’s Legacies in Malaysia, by Meredith L. Weiss
3. Black Site Thailand: Cold War Political Legacies, by Kevin Hewison
4. Tracing the Rise of Filipino Technocrats through the Cold War, by Teresa S. Encarnacion Tadem
5. How Long is Now? Of Indonesian Reformasi and its Belated Reclaiming of Cold War History, by Olle Törnquist
For this issue, we gladly have Eva Hansson and Meredith L. Weiss, from Stockholm University and University at Albany, SUNY, respectively, as our Guest Editors.
All articles are translated from English into Japanese, Thai, Bahasa Indonesia, Vietnamese, and recently added Filipino.
This issue, as usual, also includes a section of book reviews. The list of book reviews is below:
1. Urip Iku Urub, Untaian Persembahan 70 Tahun Profesor Peter Carey (Life is Flame, 70th Anniversary Festschrift for Professor Peter Carey), edited by FX Domini BB Hera, reviewed by Christina M. Udiani
2. Authoritarian Modernism in East Asia, by Mark Thompson, reviewed by Joshua Kurlantzick
3. Duterte Harry: Fire and Fury in the Philippines, by Jonathan Miller, reviewed by Ramon Guillermo
4. Robert Kuok. A Memoir with Andrew Tanzer, by Andrew Tanzer, reviewed by Ooi Kee Beng
5. Mediating Islam: Cosmopolitan Journalisms in Muslim Southeast Asia, by Janet Steele, reviewed by Rachel Rinaldo
Finally, our column Trendsetters is set to provide a wider scope of writers. We continue to publish an article on a monthly basis at Trendsetters. Please kindly contact me should you wish to write for us. For this month’s article, we present a piece on “Strategic Violence After Democratic Transitions in ASEAN”, by Renard Sexton, who is Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Emory University.
For Book Reviews: